Sunday, 30 November 2014

17 Things I’ve Learnt in 17 Years

It’s currently 1:02pm. This morning I had a mind-blowing surge of profound inspiration and I’d like to talk about it. It just so happens to be my seventeenth birthday and disregarding the scary fact that I’m rapidly growing closer to my death (if only we were immortal *sigh*), I feel infinity electrifying at my fingertips.

I feel like being seventeen is neither here nor there. I feel like seventeen is the year where I want to take a gap year from life. To just think. To become the ideal self I’ve always desired to be. And though it feels like a wishy washy filler year in the grand scheme of things, I’m determined to create something beautiful out of it.

I have existed for seventeen years. How crazy is that?! Through the blissful days where the sun beamed against my skin contrasting with the miserable dim days filled with hate and loneliness; I’ve survived. And here I am, ready to take the world with all the courage and energy I can muster. If I am to take one message, one positive from this day, it will be that turning seventeen is a privilege, an accomplishment, a gift that should never be taken for granted.

Original source: here
Edited by Nabsticle

I created a compilation of seventeen things that I’ve learnt, and will most certainly never forget, over the past seventeen years…

1. Death is okay and in fact it’s a necessity. Grief hurts but you have the choice to rise above it. Death isn’t always a loss, it’s a wakeup call and a valuable lesson. Use it to your advantage.

2. Building strong relationships with people will never happen overnight. Take the time to understand the other person, listen and don’t rush. Finding something beautiful at the end of a long troublesome road is so much more rewarding than taking a shortcut.

3. Trust your family more than anyone. Friends come and go but family is the safety net that will always catch you when you fall.

4. Never be afraid of venturing into new opportunities. For me it was starting a blog and joining an online magazine company, it can be a risk and even a mistake but go for it anyway, what’s the worst that could happen? The key is to just say yes.

5. If you look at someone and admire their mannerisms, their intelligence or even their dress sense, tell them. Start a conversation and spark the beginning of a beautiful friendship, people like that are rare gems. And you never know, they could be thinking the exact same thing about you.

6. Never speak idly; whatever you say should have substance, power, impact and meaning.

7. That detrimental mistake you made back in Year 8 may stay with you throughout high school and it may make your life a misery but it’s temporary. Don’t let it get you down. (That was more of a personal one.)

8. School will never teach you everything. In your spare time read articles, read a book, go out and explore the real world. You’ll learn much more that way. Always stay inspired. Remain curious and you will never stray from the true purpose of life.

9. It’s okay if you don’t feel like talking. Everyone needs and deserves their alone time to just think things over and figure things out. Likewise, if you notice someone who’s being quiet then let them be.

10. Letting go of people who aren’t making you a better person will boost you immensely. Trust me on this, you’ll feel lighter and it will make you realise that they weren’t such an important part of your life after all.

11. If there are masses of people, especially online, talking about controversial topics that you don’t really have an opinion on or care much about, then don’t join in. It’s okay to avoid certain discussions, just because it’s in your face 24/7 doesn’t mean you have to voice an opinion on it.

12. Don’t be so hard on yourself. Your entire life is an accomplishment so be proud of yourself. The ability to change the world is in your hands. You are a crucial cog needed for this world to keep spinning around. Don’t waste it.

13. You be the reason you wake up every day. Once you start doing things for yourself rather than others you will truly understand the meaning of living. Be your own anchor.

14. Remember that time is a man-made concept. Essentially it’s a lie. You create your own time scale and live by it however you want. No one can tell you when to do things. Like they say, there’s no time like the present.

15. Never fear death as it’s the one thing in life that is certain. Never think that life is just a ticking time bomb and when the counter hits zero your time is up. Life wasn’t given to you for you to fear it.

16. Never wait for life, get up, become a fighter and go after it. Chase it until your heart trembles at a dangerous pace and your feet burn with blisters and bruises. Feel the buzz, the adrenaline, the electricity flow through your veins. I promise that small baby steps will get you to your dreams.

17. The world will never be perfect. But your world can be. Be the best version of yourself and screw everyone else. Breathe in the good and exhale the bad, make every second of your life count. Be strong. Be smart. Be you.

Thank you to each and every one of you who have stuck with me on this crazy and inconsistent journey I call life; you mean everything to me. Together we have all survived and the future holds so many everlasting opportunities for more greatness, live it with me.

6 comments:

  1. I hate death on young ages! I believe we all have to die, but I do not understand why people die when they just got to life, or people on young age! :) Number 17 is true, life is not perfect, but yours can be! Have a lovely december!

    Ps: I'm hosting a christmas card swap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I know exactly what you mean. It's completely unfair and so cruel but I'm a strong believer in everything happens for a reason, we just have to see past the pain and concentrate on cherishing our own lives! Aw thank you very much, you too! :) Ooh I'll check out the Christmas card swap, it looks really cool x

      Delete
  2. This is crazy, I just posted a "12 life lessons I learned by 21" so I'm excited to stumble upon this! Very interesting to read your thoughts here :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much!! That's interesting I'll check yours out :)

      Delete
  3. Number 7 is so true, and can be said for any mistake you may make in any year of school - it's irrelevant once you leave :)

    The Velvet Black // UK Style & Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep exactly I can't stress that enough! I wish someone had told me that back in high school because at the time it seemed like it will never get better but it most definitely does. Thanks for reading! x

      Delete