Sunday, 11 June 2017

Tangerine Boy // Poetry


I know it's been a while but it was late and I was eating a tangerine (which was essentially my dinner because I'm a lazy student who can't cook) and lo and behold a poem about infatuation and tangerines was born.

I learnt a couple of things from this:
      a)      inspiration can strike at literally any given moment
      b)     don't compare your crush to a fruit because I'm pretty sure that it can only go downhill from there




He's a difficult-to-peel t a n g e r i n e
You know the ones I mean
Leaves a potent scent
Underneath your fingernails
I try and untangle his stringy webs
Against the backdrop of sunrise orange

Maybe I'm thinking too much
It's just a colour and he's just another fruit
But it leaves me holding on
Fingers hooked
Juice bleeding down knuckles kind of hooked
Squeezing so tight my fingers turn blue

They say b l u e and orange are complimentary
But the acidity seeks the cracks in my skin
Burns and stings till I decide that
I can't pull apart his segments
Peel his hard skin
And to put it simply
The sweet turned sour and
I mistook him for my sunrise
When he should have been a sunset


{Photo source: Nabsticle}

2 comments:

  1. okay, this is amazing. I love how bittersweet it is. I literally do this all the time (I wrote a poem about a lamb chop that I was eating alone one time) - it sounds silly but inspiration like you said can come at any time and turn something random like a cracked plate into a deep and meaningful poem. Loveeed this! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes exactly! Inspiration can strike at any given moment which makes it all the more exciting. I'd love to read your poem about the lamb chop, sounds interesting haha :) Thanks so much Zoe!!

      Nabeela x

      Delete